Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Friday, January 19, 2007

License to Drive

Now that I’ve been here a year, the process of renewing certain memberships and contracts has begun. This included renewing my international driver’s license. Done through the local AA, or Automobile Association, in New Zealand, I gave them a ring this past week to inquire about the process. Thinking it would be a simple extension of my American derived international license, I was nicely informed that I needed to convert to a New Zealand license. Gulp! Fears of a driving test requirement flashed into my head. I know I’ve been driving here a year, but I must admit that I’m still a little vague on some of the technicalities. Hey, the American Automobile Association thought I was safe to drive, as does New Zealand for the first year, so why should another six months make any difference? (Admittedly, I did not inquire about the answer.) Luckily, New Zealand only requires me to take the “theory” test and not a driving test to obtain a full license. So, after studying up on the “Road Code” I happily entered the local AA to take my test. After a few misunderstandings about my actual date of birth (they state the day first here instead of the month), I was handed the test…and a coin. Yes, the theory test is comprised of 35 scratchy questions, each one granting the feeling of winning the lottery when the “check” showed up underneath instead of the “x”. On this day I struck it rich, getting 34 questions correct and was handed a bona fide New Zealand license. Watch out world, this girl is licensed to drive on both sides of the road.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen- Nice blog and pictures (esp. the one on the mountain)! Are you getting nervous about coming back to America and driving on the right? Anyway, thanks for the christmas card. I am adjusting to Santa Barbara, but I know it will not be a permanent place for me and Alan.

My email is magsjenglish@yahoo.com. Somehow I lost yours :(.

Maggie

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home