Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Circle of Appreciation

Note: Yes, this is a retroactive post. The holidays got the better of my time.

Traditionally in the States an employer gives a little something to their employees at Christmas. It’s a small gesture of appreciation for all their hard work. So, following tradition (and given that I’ve been here nearly a year), my American colleague and I gave each of the clinic and community staff a small gift certificate to one of the local stores.

Donning a tinsel-embellished, sparkling Christmas headband, Rich and I walked around to each room and handed out the cards. I didn’t think much of it. After all, it’s tradition. The response I got in return was anything but. The staff were so appreciative as no other doctor had ever done the same. A few days later I was pulled into the staff room in secretive fashion, only to find the entire staff sitting around the table. After getting over a momentary fear that I was about to lose my job, I was handed a wrapped present containing a gorgeous necklace purchased by the entire staff to show their appreciation for me. It really shows that what goes around, comes around.

Merry Christmas everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home