Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

State of a Fair

I get childish pleasure in going to state fairs. I attribute it to childhood memories of hot summer days spent eating hot dogs, funnel cakes, looking at astronomically large produce, viewing lifestock, and of course, going on carnival rides. I looked forward to the event every year. As I've gotten older and moved around the country, I've maintained this junevial sense of wonder and attended the local fairs for the state in which I was living. So you can imagine my surprise and excitement when I found out they were having the local A&P (Agriculture and Produce) show in Hawera this past weekend, the New Zealand equivalent to the State Fair. Starting with the holiday parade on Friday night, which included floats filled with school children dressed in "Kiwiana" theme (gum boots, farmers hats, shorts, and singlets), large farm loaders, trackers, a bagpipe band, cheerleaders, and even the appearance of Santa in the final float (dressed in proper red suit and boots, instead of jandals and shorts) the festivities continued through Saturday. After fighting off initial fears that Saturday's show would be canceled due to weather, my friend and I battled through the mud-ladden field to enjoy the show. After viewing a few rows of locally grown produce, flowers, and homemade baked goods, we then strolled through rows of stalls displaying the lastest and greatest in trackers, chainsaws, boats, and a variety of other farm equipment. We then awed ourselves with the jet boat displays, petting zoo, chainsaw carver, bug man (who's show included placing a variety of small legged creatures in his mouth), and finally the axe throwing. Of course the day would not have been complete without ingesting an "American" hot dog (meaning it was placed in a bun versus being battered on a stick), some donuts, and a ride on the Octopus (an activity my friend has warned me he will never participate in again). All in all a grand show to add to the many memories of my time in New Zealand and a way for me to relive my childhood memories. Afterall, who really needs to grow up?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lo said...

Oooo, sounds a bit like last year's fair in the town that begins with a P (but I have no idea how to spell it..Puyallup?). I excited that things are going well for you out in NZ, bummed you won't be back sooner--but if I were you, I'd do the same thing! I just got back from MI for the holiday and am now at home...SNOW day! Hope you had a good weekend. Take care!
Lauren

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my defence the Octopus ride was terrifying!

I also remember a certain American, confidently predicting that the ride would be fun and that she would have a great time screaming and throwing her arms about.

But on the actual ride I do not remember any screaming (other then my own!!) and her hands were firmly holding the safety bar, in what could only be described as a death grip!

While we are on the subject are you sure it was an octopus, not a baby squid?

From a still terrified Kiwi male

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home