Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Extension of Faith

Several blogs back I mentioned I was looking into extending my stay here for an additional six month. After much internal deliberation and multiple international phone calls to my parents and friends, I decided to accept the offer to extend my time at Ruanui Health Centre. Ultimately, I decided it was a good employment opportunity giving me some additional time to find a suitable job back in the states. After all, I have my whole life to spend in a permanent position. At 31 I might as well have a little more fun before I settle down. Least my stateside friends and family worry, I will be coming back after six additional months.

As if the decision to stay wasn't nerve-racking enough, I then had to go through another application process to extend my work visa. The paperwork, while extensive, including a 16 page application, full medical certificate with blood work, and a chest xray, was the least of my worries. Sending off my original passport with the application, however, has me sitting on the edge of my seat. Granted, I had to go through this same process when I applied for my original work visa a year ago, but I was on home territory. I knew that if my passport was lost, I could apply for a new one and not be extradited. Being in a foreign country and sending off my passport is a whole new ballgame. Of course I sent it by certified mail, but that doesn't mean I won't be sitting on the edge of my seat until it is returned to me and I know I have a safe means of exiting the country. Otherwise, it will be a long journey home.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you would be extradited to a country with a congress run by Democrats

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home