Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

$2 to Win

I like horse racing. I will admit it. How couldn't I? My grandfather worked at a racetrack all his life, my uncle owns and breeds horses, my cousin got a degree in horse management, and my mother is an avid watcher of the Triple Crown races and could probably rival any trainer in naming the past 10 years winners. It's been bred into me. Today was no exception in displaying my admiration for the great racing pastime with watching of the Melbourne Cup.

Probably the largest horse race in Australasia, the Melbourne Cup creates a lot of fanfare, shutting down a majority of Australia to participate in the pre-race activities, rivaling the festivities of the Kentucky Derby. Men and women dress in their finest attire, women often adorning tops that include some sort of sparkling element and headdresses that resemble the next UFO siting. New Zealand is no exception, manifested even by one of our receptionist dressing in her finest attire, although with a little less conspicuous hat. Days before the race, office coworkers gathered $2 from daring individuals to be added to the pool of betting. On the day of the race a horse is drawn for you randomly and everyone watches in great anticipation to see if they've won the pool. My horse, number 20, Glistening. The name sounded promising, the description did not:

"Only win was over 2414m when he led in Maiden Stakes May (2005). Tougher assignment this time and drawn outside. Others make more appeal."

Unfortunately, Glistening lived up to his description, coming nowhere near the front of the pack during the race. Perhaps he needs a little shining before the next Melbourne Cup. Oh well, that's the chance you take when you bet $2 to win. Better luck next time. I'll see you at the races.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home