Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

It really is a small world

It still amazes me how small this world actually is sometimes. This past weekend I decided to take my stateside friend, Sarah, on a little tiki-tour to Wairarapa for some relaxation and wine tasting. Arriving on Saturday, the weather was a divine 24º Celcius, sunny, with a slight breeze; perfect weather to sit out on the patio of our rented cottage and indulge in some of the finer pleasures of New Zealand, namely wine and cheese. After all, we were on a mini-holiday. After a nice sleep-in Sunday morning, we rallied to walk in town for Sunday breakfast at the local café/Farmer’s Market. While leisurely enjoying some farm fresh eggs and smoked bacon rashers and a good browse through the Sunday paper, I looked up to see an individual I distinctly remembered from Seattle. At the same moment she caught my eye and mouthed the words, “I know you.” Turns out she, and I, were right. She was a third year resident when I was doing my Obstetric fellowship in Seattle. After graduating she too decided to take the transpacific leap to work in New Zealand. Now with a 1 year old daughter (a mere belly bulge when I headed off) she has been working in the small town of Levin, an hour north of Wellington. Just goes to show you that distance is only a state of mind, not a matter of reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home