Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Great Beyond

If ever I thought New Zealand was an unpopulated country, it was verified in my recent trip to Great Barrier Island. Having a long Easter weekend (still loving the extended statutory holidays here), Jason and I took the chance to fly up to visit his sister, brother-in-law, and their four kids (all 6 years and under!). Approximately a 30 minute flight off the eastern coast of Auckland, Great Barrier Island is one of the last vestiges of nearly undomesticated living. With no central power, water, or sewage, it’s reminiscent of Waldorf Island in the San Juan chain off the Washington coast. Here the roads are mostly unpaved, except in short 200-300 meter sections going through the tiny townships (a slight problem when driving our Mazda Miata rental). Power is generated either via suns rays or wind. Water is collected from the sky and filtered. Its true old school living. However, there are pleasures in visiting such a sparsely developed area: acres of natural forests and pristine white sandy beaches. We enjoyed several walks through the hills (I won’t call them mountains as the highest point is only 621 meters tall), one to a natural sulphur pool chain, and time picnicking on the beaches. I would be lying if I didn’t admit some the walks were to escape the chaos of four young kids running around our feet. Yet, we enjoyed plenty of time drawing pictures, making collages, and showering the kids with chocolate Easter eggs (always a fun venture in hyperactivity). I think Jason’s sister also enjoyed having some adult company around to converse about more then just chooks, dogs, tricycles, and arguing over a child’s desire for chocolate.

These are the lessons I learned in this latest adventure:

1. I will not be having four children. No matter how far apart they are spread. After this past weekend I’m thinking that one child might be too many.
2. Central power is a good thing. I’m all for an eco-friendly environment and I realize it might be draining our national rivers, lakes, and streams, causing pollution and general temperature rise, but I truly enjoy having enough power to run a toaster, microwave, and even leave a light on to read a book. Yes, I’m a little spoilt.
3. Water pressure is nice. There’s nothing worse then having to take a cold, dribbling shower.
4. Sealed roads are the next best thing to sliced bread. Take away the fact that we had the least ideal car for travelling back roads; driving 50km on dusty, washboard roads just isn’t fun in any vehicle.
5. Civilization has its perks. Petrol costs $1.50/liter vs. $2.20, bread and milk is found easily and cheaply instead of needing to be carted in by a visitor from the mainland, and there’s more to do then get drunk at the local pub. (I’ll spare you my soapbox about the time of day drinking starts here or that locals feel drinking while boating, and sometimes even while driving, is okay because, “Nothing’s happened so far”.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home