Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Goodbye, old friend

Friday marked the last day for my American colleague’s six months as a locum at Ruanui Health Centre. It was a day of great sadness for the clinic, patients, and especially me. Monday, once again, signified my re-familiarization with being a solo practitioner, this time to an every growing panel of patients. It’s hard for me to believe those six months have already gone. In that time I realized the benefits of having a colleague, not only in having someone with whom I can discuss patient cases, but also for the patients and the practice. It’s a difficult situation in New Zealand with doctor shortages rampant throughout the country, making continuity of care a hard realization. The shortages are ever more apparent as I look for a new position up north in Hamilton. With offices and recruitment companies calling or emailing almost daily, I’m realizing I could nearly hitch my way into town and find a job instantly. However, the past six months with this particular colleague have made me realize that I’m looking for much more than just a working colleague, but also a confidant and a friend; something readily supplied with him. I wish you all the best, Rich and Brooke. Thanks for the great times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home