Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

May I speak with the lady of the house?

One of the nicest things about living in Hawera is the quiescent telephone. Except for the occasional 7 am ring (thanks mom), my usual Tuesday night call from June (one of my mother hen patients), and the random ring from someone thinking they’ve reached the Hawera Police, my phone never speaks. It’s a beautiful thing. I’m blessed with night after night of peaceful eating without a single solicitation in sight. Until last night. As I was heading out for my nightly gym ritual the phone rang. Thinking it was one of the usual suspects I answered. A proper, British-accented female voice responded from the other side of the line informing me that my household had been chosen to receive a free carpet or lounge suite cleaning. I kindly responded that I was renting the flat and did not have the jurisdiction to make that decision. I have no idea whether this was correct, but it quickly ridded me of further conversation. Sad, have phone, they will find you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home