Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Three alarm fire

One of the first unusual sounds I heard when I moved into my downtown flat was a siren-like alarm. It was reminiscent of those you here across the Midwest warning of tornados. There was no regularity to when the alarm would go off, happening at all hours of the day or night. It occurred so irregularly that I always forgot to ask what it signified. Then, when I was at my community pottery class one night, I heard the siren go off and finally got the sense to ask its meaning. After receiving an inquisitive look, I was informed that it signaled the volunteer fire brigade to rally and support the employed team of firefighters with a potential "disaster". The alarm is triggered any time someone calls emergency services.

Last night, after another rather hectic week at work, I decided to make myself a nice dinner of tuna curry, raita, and naan. Instead of purchasing the naan from the local Indian restaurant directly across the street from me, I got it in my head that it would be more fun to make it. How hard could it be? That was the first misguided step in my faulty logic. Living in a fully furnished apartment I was provided with all my cookery, however, it's not quite up to the standard I was used to in my American kitchen. In addition, the electric range I have is slightly more testy and difficult to regulate. So when I started to fry the naan in my pan, I generated a little bit of smoke. Unfortunately, it was slightly more smoky then I thought, triggering my fire detector. The problem was that it kept going off and I didn't know how to stop it. There is an alarm system for my flat, but I chose not to activate it, and thus was never given an instruction manual nor a code. In my irrational state, the only solution I could generate was to call emergency services. The next sound I heard was the alarm siren going off for the town and a fire truck pulling up next to my door. Of course, at this point the fire detector in my flat had shut off. Feeling about three inches tall, I answered the door, thanked them for their services, and sent them on their merry way. In the end the meal turned out quite well, but I do believe I will be the next subject of conversation in this provincial little town.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought your firefighter uncle would have something to say about this one!

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, If the siren keeps blowing and blowing, they don't have enough fire-fighters, oops I mean brigade members to respond to your "emergency-non emergency." I have been on these calls so many times, I just take it in stride. Just last week, The White Marsh Police station called me and asked me how to turn off their fire alarm. As to feeling 3 inches tall, don't worry about it. When Stephanie was still a baby, I left a pot of boiling water with bottle parts and left the house. Upon return, I could hear the alarm going off and upon opening the door, the house was filled with smoke. Now comes the real reality check, my own station and shift responded. Lynn was angry and mad when the crew members were yelling out the window that our underware had been saved. At that point all I could think was "Get me out of Here." Keep up your blog, we read it often. Captain Steve & Chief Lynn - Baltimore Where Crabs Rule!

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home