Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Ramp it up, baby

Yesterday ended the two doctor reign at Ruanui Health Centre. A sad day in my eyes. As I watched the short term locum drive off into the sunset (cue dramatic music), I realized that I was once again left on my own. Admittedly, the past ten days have been wonderful: less hectic, more time to spend with patients, a colleague with whom to discuss difficult cases. Ideal in every way.

I awoke this morning (clouds looming overhead) and psyched myself up for my already fully booked schedule of patients every 10-15 minutes. A potential catastrophe considering it's a four day weekend here, and today's Thursday equals a typical Friday. Meaning there would be more patients that would walk in and need to be seen. The irony is that as I looked at my schedule for the day, I realized that I actually knew these patients already. In just a short time I had become familiar with them. As each one came into my office I was able to talk to them, not as a patient, but as a person, almost as a friend. What could have turned out to be a very arduous day, ended up being quite enjoyable. I guess that's what continuity is all about.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just went through your picture sets. They are great. You should enlarge and frame the golden mountain top. This is a really interesting site.

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home