Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

How r u 2day?

Cell phone texting is such an interesting phenomenon. I realize that I'm a little behind getting on board with this technological innovation. Granted, I probably had one of the original cell phones that Sprint ever made (circa 2000) while living in Seattle and thus did not having this capability. Now that I have it, I'm totally addicted. I will fully admit it. I text friends on almost a daily basis. It's such a great way for me to communicate with people on the other side of the Pacific, especially considering Vodafone doesn't charge me for this endeavor.

The interesting part, is that it's the main mode of communication here. If you want to meet someone for tea, a "cuppa", or even just to catch up, you don't call them, you text them. Voice to voice communication has gone by the wayside. While the convenience of texting gives you the leisure of responding (or not) when you desire, sometimes it just seems too impersonal. It's as if you're saying, "I really need to talk to you, but I can't be bothered to talk to you."

There's so much more to communication then the words: intonation, facial expression, body language. Things you just can't capture in a text. So while I will continue to support my texting addiction, voice will forever be my favorite mode of communication.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sanford Owings said...

You can see facial expressions and body language on the phone? Wow.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Leave it to you to pick out the technicalities. You know what I mean.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home