Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Patience

I have very little patience. I will admit to this character flaw. While I am working on my internal acceptance of this trait, I still have a long way to go towards manifesting my acceptance and correction thereof for those closest to me.

Lately, my patience has been tested on numerous occasions by a variety of friends who have more willpower and stamina than I. While frustrating, especially given my locale halfway around the world and inability to see them on a daily basis, I am training myself to relax and acknowledge that I am not the center of everyone's universe. After all, they realize that delayed response or action can often be beneficial.

Today, I learned my lesson. After eight long months as sole executor of a two GP practice, my calls for help were answered with the arrival of a second, fulltime GP. That's right, I am no longer flying solo. I couldn't be happier. He is another Yankee who will require some orientation into the New Zealand medical system. But I'm ready with a notebook full of pearls. They are things I've learned and discovered along my journey, idiosyncrasies of a system that, while universal, is not always straightforward. I'm hopeful that my apparent struggles over the preceding months will make his transition go more smoothly, allowing some personal mental relaxation and freedom from responsibilities, especially as I head out for holiday again next week.

Patience really is a virtue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home