Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Closing Time

New Zealand is a country that believes in the relaxed, island lifestyle. It's reflected in everything they do. From cafe visits midday, to after work drinks that progress into dinner with seamless transition, to prolonged holidays*, New Zealanders progress through each activity at the same pace: leisurely. The average person spends two weeks at a time on holiday, often extending to four or even six weeks. A concept that affronts my American workaholic ethic. This relaxed attitude is even noted in most stores trading* hours. Eight to five, Monday to Friday, is the norm. Come five o'clock, you better believe they'll be closed. There's family to visit, tea* to be had, and tele to be watched, in particular, any current sporting event involving rugby or netball. Don't get me wrong, I wholly believe in a more relaxed lifestyle, and have completely embraced it in the time I've been here. The difficulty is that I also work 8 to 5, five days a week, thus giving me minimal opportunity to run simple errands, like going to the chemist*, buying a birthday card at the stationary shop, or even obtaining a replacement bulb for my refrigerator at the appliance store. Often my window of opportunity is confined to 30 minutes midday, a time that must also be utilized for catching up on patient labs, paperwork, and filling my body with sustenance. And what of Saturday, you query*? (For Sundays are strictly off limits in terms of work, being reserved for the family sporting events.) Well, if I manage to make it in town before noon, when most stores close, then I can get heaps* accomplished. That's if I don't decide to go to the gym, which unfortunately, is also only open during those hours.

I must admit that I've done some fabulous Houdini impressions in my time here, fulfilling my omnipresent ambitions. Still, it would be nice, if on occasion, a store was open for just a little bit longer.


*Appendix of Kiwi/British English to American English translation:
Holiday (n.): vacation. Not to be confused with a day of celebration, although the two are often found coinciding.

Trading (v.): as in trading hours, meaning hours of operation. Don't worry, the barter system has long since been dissolved.

Tea (n.): dinner. Differs from the beverage, also of the same name, often served at the same sitting.

Chemist (n.): drug store. Can also be used to refer to the person who actually dispenses the medication.

Query (v.): to question. Need I say more?

Heaps (n.): lots. Differentiated from piles, or even old, run-down cars. Although, intermittently, I have seen heaps of heaps heaped on top of each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home