Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Hail to the Queen

Or at least her observed birthday because it meant another day off, a three day weekend, and a chance to explore another part of the country. This time I headed to the southern part of the North Island, known as the Wairarapa. Known for its up and coming wine growing area, Martinborough, it's also cultivating a new weekend getaway culture for Wellingtonians since it sits only an hour north. Host to some amazing tramping given its proximity to two major ranges, the Rimutake and Tararua, and only 3 1/2 hours drive south from Hawera, it seemed the perfect weekend retreat. I was not disappointed.

After a particularly taxing week at work involving an overnight stay at a local Marae and heated discussion about the internal governance of the clinic, I was ready to escape. Despite getting away an hour later then expected, waiting for my gas heater to be repaired in my flat, I managed to make it down to my destination point of Greytown by Friday evening. Seated right in the heart of the region, it presented a great step-off point for all my adventures.

Saturday afforded a beautiful, sunny, although cold, day and a tour around the town. Managing to support the local economy through some serious retail therapy, I met quite a few locals. I'm still intrigued that although I've been here almost 5 months and feel fairly assimilated into the culture, I still get recognized as a foreigner via my American "accent". It always leads into a 10-15 minute discussion revolving around whether I'm on holiday, why I'm in New Zealand, why I chose New Zealand, and ultimately my profession. There's always one amongst the succession of inquisitors that gives me the look as if to say, "Are you old enough to be a GP?" This was reinforced by the fact that one young chap, who was only 20 himself, guessed that I was only 23. Oh, flattery will get you everywhere.

Sunday presented with grey skies and some skywater, but it didn't deter me from making my way partially up Mt. Holdsworth along the Tararua Range. I couldn't pass up the chance to get a glimpse across the countryside. Unfortunately, all I ended up with was a view of the mist amongst the trees. Beautiful, nonetheless.

Saturday night brought in the cold Southerly winds, making Sunday one of the coldest I've had in New Zealand to date, topping -2 degrees Celsius on the chart. I decided to head over to Martinborough for a late morning brunch and a tour of some of the vineyards. Realistically, I couldn't leave the area without stopping at at least one or two. Martinborough is one of the three major wine growing areas of the country. Hawke's Bay and Marlborough, by far the most famous, being the other two. This short tasting tour sent my tastebuds a flutter. It bodes well for my more extended winery tour at the end of September when my friend comes to visit.

As I drove home that night, watching the sun set over the Tararua Range, I realized that although I miss my friends and family terribly at times, I really am fortunate to be able to experience this country and all it's friendly culture and breathtaking landscape. God save the Queen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home