Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Success

As I was going about my random chores today, having settled into a regular routine, I realized this has been quite a week of accomplishments, both for myself and close relations. Friday marked five months since I started working here in New Zealand. It's hard for me to believe time has gone by that quickly. What's more amazing is that the novelty of living and working here has become routine (as evidenced by my less frequent blog entries). I've found my place, both at work and in the social setting. We've made some wonderful changes in the clinic that have pleased both the employees and, more importantly, increased patient satisfaction. The once arduous task of coming into work has now become enjoyable, despite still being the only GP in the practice. Granted, we still have a lot of room to grow, but it's nice to know I have the backing of the administrative staff, something I wasn't always convinced of in the beginning.

Socially, I've found my niche through athletic outlets. Yesterday marked my fifth game of netball, and out first win! That's right folks, our team is actually getting it together. Amazingly I didn't get called once for contact or obstruction. A far cry from the near dozen penalties I had called against me in my first game. I also decided to sign up for a half-marathon. The countryside is so beautiful, and more importantly flat, that I didn't think extending my usual 10K loop to a 21.1K race would be that difficult. I may bite myself later for this decision. Besides, I'm such a regular at the gym, noted by the fact that when I don't show up on a given day they ask if something was wrong, I thought it best to find some activity that would give me a different venue for my athletic goals.

Personally, I succeeded in making my first international call over the internet today. This to a friend who's living in Mexico City of all places for the summer. Seemingly a small accomplishment in the big scheme of things, but the mere fact that I can talk to a friend in a different country for free still fascinates me. It allows me to stay connected despite being half a world away. Modern technology is so wonderful.

On a congratulatory note, last Sunday marked my parent's 4oth wedding anniversary and my close friend's 1st. Two couples who prove that marriage is much more then a matrimonial union, but one of friendship, trust, and kindness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home