Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Gratitude

It's funny how adversity brings out the best and worst in individuals. I admit that I have been in a funk for the last few days. Whether I attribute it to returning to work after holiday, the departure of my parents, hearing sad news from a friend, or my own psychological analytic overdrive, the end result was the same. I wanted to be home. There's always a moment in there when I, and anyone in a similar situation, feel alone. It's interesting to find that in such moments support comes from different and somewhat surprising places. I've had heaps of emails from family and friends, some I've not heard from in months. Work colleagues have surrounded me with unsolicited support and guidance, even bringing me flowers. I even had a patient come in today purely for a social visit. He didn't want any medications, advice, or examination. He simply wanted to chat and catch up. It's make me realize with all these positive encounters and communications, I'm never truly alone.

Don't worry, news of my "ticki-tour" holiday is still to come. There are just too many good stories to relate of a week with my parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home