Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Hospitality

I must admit, I'm still amazed by the generosity of New Zealanders. On Monday, I had a consult with the husband of a long-term patient to the clinic. He was someone who's face I'd seen for the last several months, but never actually treated. I first encountered the couple back in February, right after I arrived. She had some slightly unstable health problems that had the potential to force cancellation of their two week South Island tour. She had never been to the South Island. My goal was to get them there. Fortunately, everything turned out well, after multiple visits to the clinic, and they made their trip. In the process I got to know them a little better, as they did me. So this past Monday when he came in for a consult, he naturally asked me about my latest trip to America and I mentioned that I was getting ready to venture to the South Island myself in about three weeks. Without even batting an eye he invited me to dinner to share pictures from their journey and discuss favorite stops along the way. I didn't think much of the invitation, assuming false pretenses. (I am American after all, where we are prone to making offers and not following through.) Still, something hovered in the back of my mind. Maybe he was real in his extension of an offer for dinner. So yesterday, I called him on his potential bluff. I was the one made to look the fool. Five minutes into the conversation I was talking to his wife, the chef, and a dinnertime of 6pm was set for the next night.

I spent three hours at their house tonight having dinner, drinking New Zealand wine, and discussing everything from the clinic, to family, to travel within the South Island, to similarities and differences between New Zealand and American cultures. Leaving of my own accord so as not to overstay my welcome, they gladly would have had me stay for another three hours. As I walked to the door, they invited me back after my South Island holiday to share my experiences. I knew their offer was genuine. There were no false pretenses, just true, kind-hearted generosity. Something this American can appreciate and learn a little bit about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home