Kloss Encounter with the Kiwis

One persons view of working as a locum GP in the middle of the ocean.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

X is for Xtra

There are times that I get really frustrated with the infiltration of text spelling into standard New Zealand language. Take the roundabout signs around Hamilton. In a bid to get drivers to inform other drivers of where they intend to go, they’ve posted signs asking that you “IndiK8” where you’re going. I’m not kidding. The Transport Department has spent a lot of money to post these signs. So you can imagine my frustration when I was attempting to set up my wireless broadband yesterday and couldn’t connect to the internet simply because I was spelling “extra” the traditional way, instead of with the truncated version. It only took two and a half hours, three Telecom representatives, and two Dynalink representatives until a light bulb went off in my head to “IndiK8” my “mist8”. Honestly, I don’t mind if the New Zealand population wants to pronounce words with a British dialect, but please spell words using the proper English language. If nothing else to maintain my sanity, but perhaps the educational level of future children everywhere.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanx 4 da info but u 2 old 4 da fone. go back 2 da pen and paper klossinater.

da bro.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home